On Friday July 10 - we arrived on the western outskirts of Saskatoon
We Hunkered Down for the Night and I Reminisced
Our house was behind the Texaco + Diner - attached.
- Dad ran the Texaco.
- Mum ran the Diner.
- I feared my brothers.
- There were dirt hills all around, slashing downward into a slough.
- I wanted to buy a submarine out of the back of a comic book to navigate the waterways. $6.98.
- My brother Brian slammed a brick into my head. I required stitches.
- My 3 brothers locked me out of the house in the darkness of night. Only to let me in when the night turned black.
- Needless to say, I was traumatized.
- I was bussed to McNabb Park School - until it closed.
- I was then bussed to Boughton School - in a rough area of Saskatoon.
- Dad crushed his hand in an industrial accident and we had to move into subsidized housing.
4 STURBY PLACE
- In the city, I made real friends and began organizing sporting games amongst the other kids in our housing project.
- I attended Alvin Buckwold School. Often, in winter, I had to walk backward both to and from school, to avoid freezing to death because of the blisteringly cold wind.
- Mum was forced to bring home the poverbial bacon.
- When we had enough bacon we were finally able to move.
1322 BRYANS AVENUE
- Mum + Dad bought a house in Sutherland for $14,000 in 1972.
- I attended Sutherland Elementary.
- I still rallied the neighbourhood kids together.
- Life was mostly good.
- Starting in Grade 9, I was bussed to Evan Hardy Collegiate.
- Evan Hardy was in a rich area of the city.
- We were from the wrong side of the tracks.
- In Grade 12, I played football for the Evan Hardy Souls (Quarterback).
- We won the City + Provincial Championships.
Evan Hardy Collegiate
Gordie Howe Bowl
The Sutherland Hotel
- After High School, I continued playing football - making the Saskatoon Hilltops.
- My first year we won the Canadian Championship, and our team was inducted into the Saskatchewan Sports Hall of Fame.
- I'm a Hall of Fame Quarterback!
- After my first year with the Hilltops, I bought my first beers at the Sutherland Hotel. I was of legal age.
- I took a 6-pack home.
- I drank them under the covers in my bedroom in 19-minutes.
- I was awoken in the bathtub the next day.
University of Saskatchewan
- After leaving Saskatoon to play football in Edmonton, I returned to Saskatoon and enrolled in the U of S in 1981.
- I played for the U of S Huskies.
- My last pass of my University career was a 35 yard touchdown strike to Ron Deutscher (RIP).
- The touchdown catch was the first and only of his 5-year Huskie career.
- Before the game I asked Ron if he'd ever scored a touchdown. I told him after he answered, he would today.
- I lost my virginity to... never mind.
- I became the NUMBER 1 Mixed Tape DJ at the U of S from 1981 to 1988. Most of my Gigs were in the UPPER MUB.
- I wanted my virginity back.
- My father lost his battle to The Big C the day after my birthday in 1985 (after a long illness).
- My mum lost her battle to The Big C just before Christmas in 1987.
- On Valentines Day 1990, I moved to Vancouver. It was -35 Celsius in Saskatoon the day I left.
- Jay and I virtually arrived at 1322 Bryans Avenue, Saskatoon Saskatchewan.
- Nobody was home.
- We virtually walked downtown to hunker down for the night + grab a beer + a snack + search for my lost virginity.
- And, to rest up, because tomorrow we'd be starting our virtual journey back home to Vancouver.